Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 3:10 pm by Darryl
Yesterday ABC News’ Jonathan Karl interviewed Dick Cheney:
Karl Because Congressman [Jack] Murtha and Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi have made it clear that what they would like to do is they would like to stop the surge. Can they do it? Do they have the power to stop the surge?
Cheney I don’t think so. The question is whether or not they have the votes. [...] With respect to Iraq, I think [Rep. Jack Murtha is] dead wrong. I think, in fact, if we were to do what Speaker Pelosi and Congressman Murtha are suggesting, all we’ll do is validate the al Qaeda strategy. The al Qaeda strategy is to break the will of the American people. In fact, knowing they can’t win in a stand-up fight, try to persuade us to throw in the towel and come home, and then they win because we quit.
That’s an interesting assertion. The al Qaeda strategy is to break the will of the American people? Is Cheney making a joke?. The al Qaeda strategy is to scare the bejesus out of Americans. Isn’t that what being a “terrorist” is all about? Or is fear-mongering now the sole domain of the Bush&Cheney administration?
And, how does al Qaeda win by us going home? The bungled invasion of Iraq has been a boon for al Qaeda recruitment and training. And what’s with this “breaking the will?” If anything, Americans have a stronger will now than they’ve had for the prior five years. I mean, American voters handed the armchair warriors their ass on a platter last November. The American people have spoken with resolve: “quit killing our kids and quit looting our national Treasury for your quixotic military adventure started over imagined weapons and exaggerated threats!”
Cheney has a lot of gall to suggest that Pelosi’s and Murtha’s suggestions will “validate the al Qaeda ’strategy’,” since the administration has pretty much had a monopoly on that task. I mean, look at the record:
- Bush&Cheney have successfully peddled fear, and in instilling a sense of insecurity in the American people, convinced them to give up some of their liberties and privacy. (al Qaeda–approved!)
- Bush&Cheney have sullied our nation, once a beacon of freedom and liberty, by kidnapping innocent people, holding prisoners illegally, and torturing prisoners. (al Qaeda–approved!)
- Bush&Cheney have drained our Treasury and blown the money on their great big military adventure. (al Qaeda–approved!)
- Through lies and failed diplomacy, Bush/Cheney have managed to diminish the image of the U.S. in the eyes of foreign leaders and people of the world (al Qaeda–approved!)
- Bush&Cheney have taken a country with no terrorists and no connections to al Qaeda and managed to turn it into a hot bed of terrorist recruitment and training (al Qaeda–approved!)
- Bush&Cheney have managed to further destabilize the Middle East through diplomatic aloofness and ineptitude (al Qaeda–approved!)
- Through their failures to capture Osama Bin Laden, Bush&Cheney have emboldened terrorists everywhere (al Qaeda–approved!)
- By being responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent civilians, Bush&Cheney have become the largest provider of both insurgent recruits and new al Qaeda recruits. (al Qaeda–approved!)
It’s hard to imagine that al Qaeda could want anything other than “stay the course.” What it boils down to, really, is that Bush&Cheney are huge enablers of terrorism through their political and military incompetence. It is hard to see how any calls to limit the Bush&Cheney escalation or to pull out of Iraq could be anything but bad news for al Qaeda. It’ll harm their recruitment efforts.